Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Benjamin's Baptism and 8th Birthday Celebration


Benjamin's baptism was a very special day for me as his mother. I can well remember the day that I gave birth to him in 2002 with snow on the ground outside and a long labor. But when I held him in my arms and looked into his blue eyes, that was one of the most spiritual experiences of my life. Benjamin grew quickly and was always tall for his age (still is!). He started rolling over and crawling and walked for his grandparents at his first birthday party. He was a happy child and always had a smile for everyone. Benjamin seemed to be developing fine until we made our move to Clemson SC in the fall of 2003 and he started to decline in his speech development. Little did I know that speech therapy and a great doctor would lead to his diagnosis of autism. With the help and support of many, Benjamin started making strides in his speech and language. He has always been a good helper and has a strong sense of right and wrong. Moving here to PA was a great blessing because he was placed in a wonderful program at school and continues to progress. He is 75% mainstreamed this year! Benjamin has been talking about his baptism for a long time and we knew that he was ready. I am so happy to be his mother. My favorite memories of the baptism were when he came up out of the water and jumped up to hug his Dad and exclaimed "I'm baptized!" Also, when he caught my eye as they were blessing him and he gave me a big grin and thumbs up. I was so thankful that all of our family and friends could be there for his baptism and celebration and for all of the support that we received from our church family. He is a sweet boy and I am blessed to have him as my son.


Getting ready to be baptized


The group that confirmed Benjamin



Benjamin with mom and dad

Ben cooking for the dinner


The cake (before Jacob got to it:)


Christian and Fiona Millard


Ruben and Jacob stacking cups



Jeffery and Benjamin


Evan and Aunt Linda



Benjamin with Uncle Dave

Birthday Cake time!


Blowing out the candles


Present time


Jacob in the snow


Evan and Christian


Grandma Orchard with Evan, Christian and Claudia

1 comment:

small town Hood said...

Jenny
That is so awesome to see Benjamin baptized. He has grown up so much since we last saw you guys. Miss you
The Hoods